top of page

HISTOIRE DE LABRADOR RETRIEVER

Les chiots Labradors Grillo'S Spirit chocolats et noirs Landes
Les chiots Labradors Grillo'S Spirit chocolats et noirs Landes

Buccleuch Avon (vers 1885), considéré comme l'ancêtre de la race

In the eighteenth century, the  St. John's Hound, originally from the town of  St. John of Newfoundland  (Saint-Johns in English) is an auxiliary for the  fisherman. It was used in various tasks such as the report of  fish jumping overboard, pulling the nets, firewood for smoking fish, birds shot at sea... This dog comes from random crossings of dogs of various origins: Irish, English and Portuguese. 

Saint John's dogs were exported from Newfoundland to England in 1814 where they were appreciated as  report dog . Dogs dock it seems to  Poole  in the  Dorset . This port, which serves as a port of call for Newfoundland, was later one of the main import points for these dogs in  England .

the  Earl of Malmesbury  gives the name "Labrador" to this Newfoundland dog. During the 19th century, crosses were made with British hunting dogs and the breed was fixed at the beginning of the 20th century. the  english kennel club  recognized the breed in 1903.

The first subjects were imported into France in 1896 by French aristocrats. The Retriever Club de France (RCF) was founded in 1911.

Since the beginning of the century, the breed has finally evolved little, "banchory bolo" (dual champion hunting and beauty) of the twenties, strongly resembles a current Labrador.

Les chiots Labradors Grillo'S Spirit chocolats et noirs Landes

Banchory bolo (1915-1927)

Exclusively black when the English fixed the race at the beginning of the 20th century, then the yellow color and finally the chocolate color. The chocolate as well as the yellow has always existed in the lines of black Labrador. They were simply eliminated at birth. The chocolate Labrador generally came out of anonymity in the 1970s, mainly in England, the cradle of the breed, but also in Sweden and the USA.

bottom of page